What is a Narrative Essay Outline?
First of all, we have to know what is a narrative essay. A narrative essay is a type of academic essay in which the writer narrates a story. It is the most commonly assigned form of academic writing. Nursing students often have to write a narrative essay such as why I want to be a nurse essay. Hence, it is necessary that students know how to write an impressive narrative essay outline.
A narrative essay is designed to be a story. The learner is supposed to write an experience he/she has experienced in his/her life. Thus, the first step of writing a narrative essay should be to brainstorm ideas.
Elements of a Narrative Essay.
Writing a narrative essay is like building a story. A story has to have characters. Decide who will be your characters? What do they want? The conflict in your story, and who wins in the end. There are 5 main elements of a narrative essay.
These 5 elements include:
- Plot – the plot refers to the main event that happens in your narrative essay story.
- Character – A story has to have characters. Who are your characters?
- Theme – This is the moral lesson or message within your narrative essay.
- Setting – When and where did the event occur?
- Conflict – this refers to problems faced by characters in your essay.
Once you have laid out the basics of your story, you can start to write your narrative essay following the following simple outline.
Why a narrative essay outline is important?
A narrative essay outline follows a standard structure of a 5 paragraph format just like other essays. This 5 paragraph outline includes the following parts:
- A catchy introduction.
- Body paragraphs (preferably 3)
- A brief and precise conclusion.
Step-by-Step Guide on How to Structure Your Narrative Essay.
Structuring your narrative essay involves creating a good narrative essay outline. These are the steps of creating a creative narrative essay outline:
- Step 1: Choose a clear topic for your narrative essay.
- Step 2: Brainstorm ideas for your narrative essay.
- Step 3: Write a catchy introduction.
- Step 4: Draft the body paragraphs.
- Step 5: Write a brief and precise conclusion.
Step 1: Choose a clear topic for your narrative essay.
A good narrative essay topic should explain what your story is about in those 6 or fewer words. Therefore, you should ensure that your narrative essay topic is a brief summary of what you want to talk about. Most importantly, your narrative essay topic should be interesting so that you can get your reader’s attention immediately.
Step 2: Brainstorm ideas for your narrative essay.
After you have created an interesting narrative essay topic, the next step involves brainstorming for ideas to include in your narrative essay. During this phase, write down all the ideas that you want to include in your narrative essay.
Step 3: Write a catchy introduction.
Nothing is frustrating to students as wondering how they will start their narrative essay introduction.
Use these three tips to write a compelling introduction:
- Integrate a catchy hook statement to grab your reader’s attention.
- Create a setting for your narrative essay. Additionally, you can give a glimpse of what your story is about.
- Provide insight into what your narrative essay is about by stating your thesis statement.
Step 4: Draft the body paragraphs.
The body paragraphs are the main part of your narrative essay. During this part, you are supposed to create your characters, present your setting and explore the conflict in your story.
Here are 3 tips to keep your body paragraphs interesting:
- Include a clear description and present relevant details.
- Arrange the events in your narrative story sequentially.
- Integrate dialogues in your story to make your narrative essay more engaging.
Step 5: Write a brief and precise conclusion.
The conclusion is the climax of any story or academic essay.
Here are 3 tips to write an impressive conclusion:
- Keep it short and precise. (2-3 sentences is enough).
- Present the climax of your story/ Restate your thesis statement.
- Leave the reader by giving a moral lesson from your narrative essay or by providing a call to action if required.
As we have seen, writing a narrative essay is not rocket science. Though it might be challenging to write a good narrative essay outline, this guide gives you an edge by giving you tips and tricks to make your narrative essay tick.
If you are a nursing student looking for a nursing essay writing service to do your nursing essay assignment? Nursingessayhelp.org has a team of professional writers who are ready to deliver a top-quality nursing essay at affordable rates.