Nursing students may be asked to write nursing papers in APA format by their instructors. This guide explains how you will plan, start and finish writing your essay. If you are a nursing student and you are wondering how you will write your nursing papers in APA format, this article is will help you. If you have any troubles while preparing or writing and you feel like you need help from a professional, you can contact us or place an order at our website. Our team is made up of professional nursing paper writers. Our writers have gained experience from writing many academic papers for nursing students around the world.
What is APA?
APA is a style manual published by American Psychological Association. It is used in sciences and social sciences and it governs how we format our papers thus ensuring consistency.
APA includes many elements like:
- Selection of headings, tones, and length.
- Punctuation and abbreviations.
- Presentation of numbers and statistics.
- Construction of tables and figures.
- Citation of references among other elements that are part of the manuscript.
Why use APA style?
Using APA style allows students to support their ideas in their work, helps the reader to locate the materials used, gives credit to the author, and provides a standard format so that everyone is on the same page (ensuring consistency) and understands the meaning and elements of the citations.
How to organize and write your paper in an effective way.
Before diving into the details related to the APA research paper format, you first have to determine the type of paper you are about to embark on creating.
Types of papers.
Empirical studies – These take data from observations and experiments to generate research reports. It is based on actual data.
Literature reviews – These papers analyze another individual’s work. The purpose of this type of paper is to gather information about a current problem and communicate where we are today.
Theoretical articles – They are similar to literature reviews in that the author collects, examines, and shares information about a current problem using other’s research. The difference between it and literature reviews is that it aims to solve the problem by creating a new theory.
Methodological articles – These articles present new advances or modifications to existing practice in a scientific method.
General rules for APA format.
The following is a list of general APA rules although your instructor may require specific guidelines.
- Use standard-sized paper (8.5 by 11 inches)
- Use a 1-inch margin on all sides.
- Type and double-space your paper.
- Use a 12-point font such as Times New Roman.
- Include a page header.
Sections of nursing papers in APA format.
The title page should contain:
- Running head.
- Title of your paper.
- Your name and school affiliation.
This page provides important details of your paper to the reader. Thus, it should be short and concise. It should also present the theme of your paper.
This is a short summary of your paper. It is placed directly after the title page. APA rules state that it should not exceed 150 to 250 words.
The format in which you write this section varies depending on the type of paper you are writing. Your instructor will give instructions on what should be included in this part.
This is the section where you include all the references that you used in your paper. Everything that you cited in the body section should contain a reference to this section. This part should begin on a new page with the word References centered at the top of the page.
Procedure to write nursing papers in APA format.
- Start by breaking it down into manageable steps.
- Research your topic.
- Create an outline and a working bibliography. Note: During the first two steps, you can structure your paper and keep all the references you will use in your APA paper.
- Do your research and start writing your paper.
- Write the abstract section after you have finished writing all your papers.
- Combine your references and create a title page.
- Edit and proofread your paper.