what are the parameters that you will review to determine success and grant implementation
all DNP projects should:
- focus on a change that impacts the outcome of healthcare through direct or indirect care
- have a system (micro-, meso-, or macro-level) or population/aggregate focus
- demonstrate implementation in the appropriate practice area
- include a plan for sustainability (it should take into account financial, systems, or political realities, not only theoretical abstractions)
- include an evaluation of processes and outcomes (formative or summative).
DNP Project examples
The following are examples of doctor of nursing practice (DNP) projects completed by the authors when they were DNP students.
Projects to Improve Quality
The student established a new standardized protocol for staff education and patient care practices for foot care evaluation and management after studying evidence-based methods for type 2 diabetic foot treatment.
The student emphasized nursing education as a strategy of overcoming barriers to adherence to an evidence-based sedation procedure for enhanced ICU outcomes.
Projects involving evidence-based practice
When caring for dying patients, the DNP student employed an evidence-based survey method to assess student anxiety. Based on the findings, an education package was created to assist students in managing their stress.
The student developed an instructional program for caretakers of pediatric patients in order to reduce non-urgent utilization of the emergency room and boost fever awareness.
Guideline development and improvement project
After a systematic evidence search, the student developed a neonatal abstinence syndrome treatment guideline to standardize care and reduce treatment duration, symptom severity, length of hospitalization, and costs.
This week’s question is: Describe how will you measure the success of your DNP project. (My project will be a case study based on the impact of implementing a telehealth follow-up protocol for young adults who missed appointments from an STD clinic over eight weeks).
– For your own particular project, what are the parameters that you will review to determine success and grant implementation?
– How will you measure patient and staff satisfaction with the process?
– How will you measure and collect data for a case study DNP project?
– Given you only have 8-10 weeks to implement your project, discuss its feasibility. Will you be able to accomplish everything you want to do as far as implementation in 8-10 weeks? What barriers might you have and how will you overcome them?